Incentive Program for Flute Students
Deerland Studio has developed an enjoyable belt system similar to Taekwondo and Karate, in which students progress at their own levels and attain mastery as total musicians. 6 areas are stressed: Tone, Scales, Playing by Ear, Etudes, Musicianship, and Repertoire. Students love the belts because they know where they are and what will be mastered next. For instance, when they earn their orange belt (after white and then yellow), their capabilities will include: slurred harmonics, 1 octave scales to 3 b/#, 3 folksongs by ear in several keys, as well as intermediate etudes, sightreading, memory pieces, and duets. Prized paracord survival bracelets are created for the belts.
Here are some tips to maintain your lovely flute:
PUT IT TOGETHER without touching the keys. Gently ease the pieces together, and keep the joints wiped clean.
HOLD IT in your lap or in playing position, or set it on a table (never a chair — someone might sit on it!), otherwise put it in its case. Keys should be facing up so the pads stay dry.
CLEAN YOUR MOUTH before playing by rinsing with water or brushing your teeth, so nothing sticky gets on the pads.
CLEAN THE INSIDE of your flute immediately after playing, so moisture doesn’t make the pads swell. Many cleaning cloths are available; my preference is to buy a yard of white flannel at the fabric store, cut it into 12″ by 8″ sections, use fray-guard on the edges, then wash before using. Cover the cleaning rod with the cloth to avoid scratching the flute.
CLEAN THE OUTSIDE only with rubbing alcohol, never silver polish, which can damage the pads and clog the rods.
Enjoy your flute!
This super information (for super people!) is adapted from Steinway.com:
- SHARPENS THE INTELLECT – activates similar parts of the brain used for math and science: watch those SAT scores go up!
- DEVELOPS PASSION AND DILIGENCE – through dedication and goal-setting processes: our new piano belts and flute belts set reachable goals.
- MAINTAINS AN AGING BRAIN’S HEALTH – gives us increased levels of Human Growth Hormone 🙂
- EXERCISES THE BODY – improves fine motor skills and hand-eye coordination.
- ENCOURAGES CREATIVITY – enhanced brain activity inspires new solutions.
- STRENGTHENS MEMORY – particularly proven with language.
- ELEVATES MOODS – the release of serotonin and dopamine promote positive emotions.
- CALMS THE MIND – less anxiety, loneliness, depression, and ADD.
- FOSTERS COMMUNITY – brings together families, friends, and communities.
- BOOSTS CONFIDENCE – opportunities to boost our self-esteem.
And special additional bonuses for FLUTISTS: Singing daily (reread as ‘fluting daily’) for at least ten minutes reduces stress, clears sinuses, improves posture and can even help you live longer! (from Organic Health Universe)
Just read this intriguing book by Russell Martin (ISBN 0-7679-0350-1). Back in the days before cameras it was customary, when someone died, to clip a lock of their hair as a memento. In this case 15-year-old composer Ferdinand Hiller snipped some of Beethoven’s hair. It was passed down in the Hiller family for over a century, surprisingly ending up at San Jose State University. Since young Hiller had enthusiastically pulled Beethoven’s hair when cutting it, DNA studies could be done on the follicles. It turns out that Beethoven’s lead content was 42 times the normal amount, accounting for his deafness and other maladies. Amazingly he persisted through his veil of silence to give us masterpieces like his 9th Symphony with the “Ode to Joy”.
Calling all piano students!…introducing an exciting long-term incentive program similar to the belt progression in Taekwondo and Karate. Enjoy progressing at your own pace, with belts presented at quarterly recitals! Each level includes chords, scales, musicianship, playing by ear, and repertoire:
white ~ innocence, where it all begins
yellow ~ building the foundation, Early Beginner
orange ~ Beginner
green ~ Early Intermediate
blue ~ Intermediate
purple ~ Late Intermediate
brown ~ Early Advanced
red ~ Advanced
black ~ Collegiate